Tuesday 21 January 2020

Southfields Farm, Coleshill.






Great visit as usual to Southfields Farm today, where it was lovely and crisp, even though I say it was a great visit there wasn't much bird activity at all but it's not always about seeing lots of birds, it's just nice to get out and about, a word of warning if you're planning a visit there anytime soon be sure to wear wellies or a decent pair of walking boots as large parts of the farm are under water or very muddy, worth it though.

I didn't speak to John (The Farmer) which was a shame as I wanted to know why there appears to have been no supplementary seed left anywhere which is not good news especially as we are now in the 'hunger gap', hopefully I'll find out why or if I'm wrong on my next visit, thankfully this location is managed with birds/wildlife in mind.

As usual there were hundreds of House Sparrow present by the outbuildings/car park, but the other birds I usually expect to see in high numbers were sadly lacking, instead of hundreds of Linnet, I saw c.30 which obviously may have been a coincidence but in the Winter I have never seen with in two digits before, I also thought I would see plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare, well I didn't see a single Redwing and only one Fieldfare, I also didn't see a single Yellowhammer or Starling either, which was a real shame.

Anyway enough of the negativity, on the plus side, other than the House Sparrow's it was great to see Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Jay, Pheasant, a Grey Heron fishing and large numbers of Tits and Finches all around the farm.

Birds seen today were, Buzzard, Linnet, House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Jay, Woodpigeon, Carrion, Crow, Magpie, Pheasant, Pied Wagtail, Grey Heron, Moorhen and Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment