Wednesday 24 October 2018

Sutton Park.









Great visit to Sutton Park today, the decision was made to give this excellent location a much needed visit for a few reasons, obviously being one of Europe's largest park is good enough reason, at this time of the year it's also great for visiting birds and fungi as you can see and also even though I love birding and observing nature in Warwickshire I've been doing that too much this year and thus neglecting the West Midlands of which I'm rectifying of late.

Sutton Park really is a massive park and it's easy to get lost in and after many previous visits, the majority of which have been starting from the Banners Gate entrance as was today's visit, so I was going one of my usual routes when I decided to take a small detour and yes you've guessed it I ended up getting lost, it took me a asking a few people and a good ninety minutes to get to a place that was actually familiar, still at least the weather was nice and there was plenty of fungi to discover including many fine examples of Fly Agaric, which is a particular favourite of mine.

Before I actually got lost highlights were seeing Shoveler on Longmoor Pool, a great spectacle of a flock of c.50 Fieldfare, it may well have been a mixed flock which included Redwing but I didn't see any, either way it was great to see so many, there was also plenty of Goldrest to be heard in amongst the gorse, one even popped out, had a quick look at me before going back into the bush, I know Corvid's are not everybodies favourite bird but I like them as I do all birds and at Banners Gate they easily number in three figures and they loved the food and apples I took for them to feast on, always great to see so many when you enter the car park.

I've seen apples on the floor from the trees in the park before but not nowhere as many as today as there were thousands on the floor from the many apple trees which adorn the park which is good news for the birds with the harsh weather coming soon.

Birds seen today were, Goldcrest, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Wren, Robin, Starling, Fieldfare, Jay, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Little Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment