Wednesday 23 May 2018

Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.








Being as I enjoyed my walk along the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal on Monday I thought I'd go back today and start my walk from The Boat Inn but walk in the opposite direction.

Today's story starts before I even got out of the car as on the way there I spotted Blue Tits feeding young at the top of a street sign outside a school and when I parked up I noticed a pair of Blue Tits going to and from the roof at The Boat Inn who were clearly feeding their young, funnily enough I plastered the room below the roof many years ago.

So in what was already a good start to the day, when I got to the canal the Goslings were still present in the garden and they had been fed giant Yorkshire Puddings which is first for me I must admit but they were enjoying them either way and even though I still thought there were ten, there were actually eleven Goslings when I looked back at the photos I had taken, which is great news especially when you see the size of them. 

Other juveniles seen were seven Moorhen chicks, it was a pleasure to watch them foraging among the vegetation, just a pity there was a lot of plastic litter as well which has now sadly become commonplace, other juveniles seen were Starling, Blackbird, Magpie and Feral Pigeon, the juvenile Blackbird looked as if it had just fledged as it was very noisy and was constantly following the parents and begging for food at the same time.

In one of the farmers fields were there was a lone tree, there was the unusual sight of a Kestrel chasing away Corvids and not being mobbed by them as usually happens, as the Kestrel only left the tree to chase off the Corvids I suspect it had a nest there but it was located on the opposite side of the canal and too far way to be certain.

As was the case on Monday, wherever there were homes there were House Sparrows and plenty of them, no juveniles yet though but in the same area there were plenty of Starling juveniles, who were making their custom racket, I haven't always been a fan of the noise they make but I'm now definitely a fan.

Birds seen today were, Buzzard, Kestrel, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Chiffchaff, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Starling, Jay, Blackbird, Collared Dove, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Moorhen, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Canada Goose as well as the following juveniles, Canada Goose Gosling (11), Moorhen (7), Blackbird, Starling, Magpie and Feral Pigeon.



I also paid a visit to Coleshill this morning and there were plenty of juvenile Starling present and then when I get home I could here that customary noise of juvenile Starlings and above is the first one that I saw in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment