Friday 8 April 2016

Sutton Park, North Birmingham.






Great trip to Sutton Park in North Birmingham this morning even though it was raining upon arrival that was never going to stop me because it's always a pleasure to visit this location.

I probably would have gone via another entrance to Banners Gate as I did on my last visit but I was eager to see if Longmoor Pool was still in the disgraceful state as it was on my previous visit, I'm pleased to say that the water is all back in the pool and everything is back to normal, including the lifebuoys which the morons insist on constantly throwing in the water, Birmingham city council never once responded to any of the questions I raised via the state of the pool, I shall remember this when it comes to voting !

It was great to see a Mute Swan and two Coot already on the nest, no doubt the Mallards are already nesting out of sight, where the large majority of Mallards were resting were a pair of Robin who were very appreciative of the mealworms and seed I left for them, hopefully they were a pair, there was also a Grey Heron hunting on the waters edge by where the Swan was on the nest. Strangely on the path around the pool there was a lot of dead frogs with their innards strewn beside them, I can't see why a Heron for example would kill them and not eat them, I can't think of a logical explanation. 

On the moorland and heathland habitats  it was great to see a fair number of Song Thrush foraging on the floor and flying from tree to tree as was the odd Great Spotted Woodpecker, obliviously it was great to hear all the birds singing of which ranged from Song Thrush to Robin. 

Birds seen today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Chiffchaff, Dunnock, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Jay, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Canada Goose and the following nesting birds, Mute Swan (1) and Coot (2).

I must also the Carrion Crows who congregate around the car parks here, I always take some food for them and I think the large majority of other visitors do, they must be the best fed Crows anywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment