Saturday 29 November 2014

Kingsbury Water Park.




Another trip over to Warwickshire today, this time to visit Kingsbury Water Park which looked great in all it's Autumnal loveliness.

A mixed bag of news today unfortunately, firstly I'll start with the good news, it's was great to see plenty of mixed flock of birds, mostly Tits and Finches, there was a great flocks of c.50 Goldfinch by the waters edge near the visitors centre feasting on Alder berries also in the same area was a flock of c.50 Chaffinch foraging on the grass, finally around one of the pools there was a mixed flock of Blue, Great and Long Tailed Tit making their way from one tree to another. In that same area there was also two Little Egret having a noisy quarrel. On the water it was great to see plenty of Great Crested Grebe and Shoveler as well as the resident Greylag Geese.

Now I have to get to the bad news, right near the entrance to Tamworth Sailing Club there was a young Black Headed Gull lying on the floor looking very distressed, so I approached it and picked it up and it had clearly had at least one broken wing, so I thought I'd take it to someone in the shop (she was useless and disinterested) so I tried a ranger (he just ignored me) regardless of all this, the poor creature passed away during this time, the poor bird looked like it had been the victim of a car strike because unbelievably in exactly the same area there were two recent Moorhen victims as well because when I picked them up they hadn't been dead for very long, being as the car park was full and it's near a bend I can only presume they had died due to the careless driving of the patrons of Tamworth Sailing Club, if I'm correct they should hang their heads in shame especially as the Gull was left dying, injured by the road side and the Moorhens were left discarded on top of a pile of bark chippings like some rubbish ! I took all three birds about half an hour into the woods off the beaten track and gave them at least a half decent burial because personally I can't just leave deceased wildlife rotting away on the side of the road.

Birds seen today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Pied Wagtail, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Shoveler, Gadwall, Domestic Duck, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Greylag Goose and Canada Goose.

I also stopped off in Coleshill for dinner after my birding trip to Kingsbury Water Park, but I'm always birding so birds I saw were a fantastic flock of c.50 House Sparrow in a tree in the memorial park, plenty of Pied Wagtail foraging on the grass in the park, another fantastic flock, this time of c.100 Starling by Coleshill Fire Station, Collared Dove, Jackdaw and a lovely looking juvenile Woodpigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment