Sunday 16 February 2014

Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Edgbaston.







Being as the weather was much better than of late it was time to visit Birmingham Botanical Gardens in Edgbaston again which obviously took in some birding.

Birds seen were Buzzard, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Song Thrush, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Magpie Blackbird, Pintail, Moorhen, Tufted Duck as well as the captive birds.

Unfortunately the last remaining Peacock has been killed by a Fox of which the feathers were left strewn across the grass by the grandstand, which meant the two Peahens have had to go in of the large cages for a short while. Talking to the staff they informed me that the Peacocks and Peahens are never normally locked up and are left to roam free so they usually roost in some of the many trees at this site of a night time but sadly for the Peacock it's been unlucky and fell prey to a Fox.

Which is probably the same fate one that has happened to one of (my) Feral Pigeons, as I was topping up the birds feeders before setting off for the gardens, one of said Feral Pigeons had just flew down and rested on my chimney, because unlike a lot of people I don't mind feeding Pigeons, when it flew off at a very high speed with a Sparrowhawk in hot pursuit with the last sighting being the Feral Pigeon doubling back on itself with the Sparrowhawk inches behind so I'd say it was unlucky the Pigeon got away but I'm not sure for definite.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos - a shame about the peacock and the peahens needing to be locked up. I haven't been to Birmingham Botanical Gardens for years - I must revisit. I did go to Winterbourne House and Gardens recently. Its also in Edgbaston and well worth a visit if you haven't been - you can access a nature reserve and pool from the Gardens too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and indeed I have been to Winterbourne House and Gardens, yes there's a great pool and woodland walk there as well, also in the same vicinity is Martineau Gardens which is also a nice little place and is free entry all year round. http://www.martineau-gardens.org.uk/

      Delete