Tuesday 20 August 2019

Pype Hayes Park and Plantsbrook Local Nature Reserve.

Two visits this morning, firstly was a visit to Pype Hayes Park and then it was off to the adjacent Plantsbrook Local Nature Reserve.

Pype Hayes Park.








It was great to see that there were plenty of birds all around the park with many flocks of birds seen including a very impressive flock of very noisy c.30 Long Tailed Tit with a good number of juveniles in among their number, even though they were noisy they couldn't compete with the Parakeets I saw, some flew over where I was observing the Long Tailed Tits and others were seen in and around the gardens, if you know Birmingham and Solihull well I've also seen Parakeets this week in the trees by Asda in Chelmsley Wood, so it's great to see their territory getting larger, there was also a sizeable number of Nuthatch to be seen and heard all around the park equally great to see but in much lesser numbers were Whitethroat.

On the pool it was great to see a Mute Swan Cygnet, shame there was only one but sadly it's a notoriously bad place for waterfowl to breed, even still there were still ten very small Mallard Ducklings and plenty of this years Ducklings were all around the pool as were young Moorhen, unfortunately I can't tell you what was along the Plants Brook as it's been completely overtaken by Himalayan Balsam.

Birds seen at Pype Hayes Park were, Kestrel, Nuthatch, Whitethroat, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Parakeet, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Stock Dove, Feral Pigeon, Mute Swan, Gadwall, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot and Canada Goose, also all of the following juveniles were seen, Mute Swan, Mallard, Moorhen, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw and Carrion Crow.

Plantsbrook Local Nature Reserve.










Then it was off to Plantsbrook Local Nature Reserve where upon arriving at the pool I met a couple and mentioned that it would be nice if the Terrapin was still present, they looked at me like I was mad and told me they'd been visiting this location for over twelve years and they'd never seen one, so I gave the islands around the pool a quick scan and lo and behold what's there, yep a Red Eared Terrapin.

Apart from the Terrapin the first pool was fairly quiet whereas the main larger pool was full of waterfowl including Mute Swan Cygents, Mallard Ducklings and Great Crested Grebe juveniles and it was great to see that the Muscovy Duck still present.

Birds seen at Plantsbrook Nature Reserve were, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Jay, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Muscovy Duck, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, Canada Goose and Great Crested Grebe as well as the following juveniles, Mute Swan Cygnet, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Coot and Jay, also on the main pool there were a couple of Coot still on the nest.

Just a pity I missed the meadow when it was in full flow, I shall definitely be going back next year to see it in all it's wonder.

I shall finish on two notes, one bad and one good, first the bad, while I was talking towards the main pool this dog came out of nowhere barking and generally going mental, so I said to the people with the dog, I'm okay as I haven't got a dog with me and their reply was 'well stay away as he'll attack you anyway', being as these horrible people had plenty of dogs I can only presume they were in a white Ford Transit parked in the car park (PO62 CVM) it wasn't just me by the way as other people I spoke to had a similar experience.

As I don't want to finish on a sour note I'll end by saying that over the years I've picked up a lot of litter from this location so I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was no litter at all which must largely down to the great work done by the Friends of Plantsbrook Local Nature Reserve who can be followed on Twitter by the following link. Plantsbrooklnr

No comments:

Post a Comment