Monday 11 February 2019

Shustoke Reservoir.






Nice visit to Shustoke Reservoir this morning even though the sun couldn't decide whether it wanted to come out or not, it was still nice and crisp all the same.

It goes without saying but there were a lot of small birds around the wooded area of the reservoir and surrounding areas today such as Tit and Finches, also birds in high numbers were Robin and Blackbird, in the water there were a lot of Coot, I'd say approximately about 300, shame there was only one pair of Goosander, still better than none at all though.

Birds seen today were, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Robin, Dunnock, Nuthatch, Starling, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Redwing, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Pied Wagtail, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Goosander, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot and Canada Goose.

Sadly it's moan time again, namely that of the dog walkers at this location, even when I read other birding blogs from here I read the same comments as I'm going to make so I'm not alone in my thoughts, for starters they still ignore the signs about having dogs on a lead at all times and they have since day one, even worse than that they ignore the signs about blue algae being harmful or even fatal to dogs so in my opinion they couldn't give a damn about the poor beasts anyway let alone the birds that the dogs regularly chase back into the water and of course what goes hand in hand with letting your dog run wantonly everywhere, dog poo, don't get me wrong either it's not the dog's fault it's completely down to the irresponsible owners, when I'm out and about I never ignore anyone with the one exception of dog owners at this location who let their dogs run riot, so if you fall into this category and you say hello to someone at the reservoir and they ignore you, it may very well be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment