Tuesday 5 June 2018

Southfields Farm, Coleshill.







Nice visit to Southfields Farm in Coleshill today where the were plenty of juveniles present, there were huge numbers of baby House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Goldfinch, Starling with Carrion Crow and Magpie seen in much lower numbers.

I spoke to John the Farmer before I set off and he told me that Lapwings have nests in one of the farrow fields, unfortunately I couldn't locate it but knowing they are nesting on the land is good enough for me, funnily enough John deliberately set aside a patch of land for the Lapwings to nest on but as wildlife tends to do they've decided to completely ignore it and have settled where they want to, also be rest assured John told me that the land will not be touched until the Lapwings have fledged.

I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing but there were a lot of Buzzard present, I suppose in the big scheme of things it's good have a bit of balance but I just thought there were a lot for how many I saw on the area I covered this morning.

Even though the wildflower meadow was a bit disappointing as at the moment most flowers haven't come into their own yet there was a pleasant surprise in one of the fields as where I've only seen crops before there was a massive area awash with many different kinds of wildflowers, when I say massive area I really do mean it, not sure why that field is now full of wildflowers as I didn't see John again, hopefully I'll find out next time, either way there was a flock of c.60 Goldfinch, which included many juveniles feasting on all the seed that were on offer. 

I was hoping to spot Yellowhammer today which I didn't manage to do but I did see and hear many Skylark which is a good second.

Birds seen today were, Buzzard, Skylark, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chiffchaff, Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Starling, Blackbird, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, House Martin, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie and Grey Heron in one of the fields that's adjacent to the river.

If you were planning to visit the farm this weekend for 'Open Farm Sunday', sadly John's not having one this year due to various reasons but he's going to have one next year that's bigger and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment