Thursday 23 June 2016

Southfield's Farm, Coleshill.









Another visit to Southfield's Farm in Coleshill, North Warwickshire today to see the wonderful array of birds and wildflowers. Before I got out the car I could hear what sounded like and probably was hundreds of House Sparrow, the ground was literally littered with huge amounts of fledglings and juveniles and even better than that was I could still see adults taking insects into bird boxes and under eaves etc.

I was hoping to see Yellowhammer today and I thought I wasn't going to until I was in the very last field I visited where I saw two singing on a telegraph wire and what a great song they have, talking of birdsong it was also great to here Skylark, Blackcap, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff Blackbird and Robin singing.

I think I went a bit early to see the wildflower meadow in full flow but it did look great all the same, among the flowers in the meadow were, Common Knapweed, Musk Mallow, Field Scabious, Cornflower, Birds-Foot Trefoil, Oxeye Daisy and Field Poppy, I shall definitely be making a return visit to see the meadow in all it's glory, there was also many insects present in the field but I am by no means an expert on them, all I can say is that were many Banded Demoiselle.

Birds seen today were, Buzzard, Kestrel, Yellowhammer, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robin, Wren, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Lapwing, Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Peacock, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie as well as the following juveniles, Blue Tit, House Sparrow, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow and Magpie.

Other wildlife spotted today were, Hare, Rabbit and Speckled Wood.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - particularly like the one of the Banded Demoiselle. The wildflowers are a delight - I really must try and visit this farm - it would be so good to see a wildflower meadow in all it's glory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it took a long time to get that photo of the Banded Demoiselle. The meadow looks great now, it will be amazing to see it in full swing :)

      Delete