Tuesday 28 June 2016

Meriden Park, Solihull.







Early morning trip to Meriden Park in Solihull where I also paid a visit to the adjacent Colebank Nature Reserve and a walk along a stretch of the River Cole which is inbetween both venues.

Highlights were seeing a Kingfisher, seeing and hearing large amount of Tit flocks which included many juveniles, unintentionally scaring a Green Woodpecker who was foraging on the floor who in turn unintentionally had Rabbits flying in every direction when it flew off screeching, walking around a tree to be confronted with a male Blackcap singing right in front of me until it noticed my presence and flew further up the tree.

Birds seen today were, Kingfisher, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Wren, Robin, Starling, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Raven, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Grey Heron, Moorhen Coot, Canada Goose as well as the following juveniles, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, House Sparrow, Starling, Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Carrion Crow and Magpie.

If you read my last post concerning my last visit to this location you will remember my concern about a pair of Coots nesting directly below the bridge well thankfully they have managed to raise a juvenile, pity it's only one but that's better than none, there was no sign of the Mute Swan pair though and the locals I spoke to barely knew what a Swan even looked like (I still find that quite shocking) so at the moment I don't know whether they had any young or if they were on the island or river.

In Colebank Nature Reserve it was wildflower and butterfly city, I can honestly say I've seen so much Birds Foot Trefoil in one location, to say it was abundant would be underplaying how much is there as is evident in the fifth picture, other wildflowers seen were, Toadflax, Southern Marsh Orchid, Oxeye Daisy, Meadow Cransebill, Wild Blue Geranium, Red Campion and White Campion.

Colebank Nature Reserve is also a prime site for the day flying moth Six-Spot Burnet sadly I didn't see any of those but I did manage to see the following butterflies, Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood and Ringlet.

I must also mention that if you like Rabbits there are plenty at Colebank, they can be seen at almost every turn, which is nice to see.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment