Monday 29 June 2015

Shustoke Reservoir.






A rare trip out on a Monday for me today to North Warwickshire to visit Shustoke Reservoir because overly warm weather doesn't agree with me so I might not get out again birding until Saturday.

I wasn't going to start this post of again talking about juvenile birds but I saw abundance of fledglings today so it would be wrong to start anywhere else.

Juvenile birds spotted today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Robin, Whitethroat, Pied Wagtail, Green Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Lapwing, Buzzard, 6 Canada Goose Goslings and 58 Mallard Ducklings including one Mom with 10 !

I didn't even have to step out of the car and I'd already seen a pair of juvenile Green Woodpecker, a lone Song Thrush and six Woodpigeon, then it was on to the reservoir where apart from Ducklings and Goslings it was Pied Wagtail juveniles aplenty, hard to put a definite number on them but there were upwards of thirty, I saw two flocks of Tits which included many Blue, Great, Long Tailed and Coal Tits, there were also many Whitethroat juveniles to be seen and heard, they must have had a good year breeding because I see them every time I go out, it was nice to see some baby Lapwings especially as they were on the far side of the river which is hard for people to access, last but not least was the sighting of a juvenile Buzzard who was in a wooded area just past the reservoir which is a favoured location for songbirds including today one of the flocks of Tits I saw.

Birds seen today were, Buzzard, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woopdecker, Song Thrush, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Common Tern, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Canada Goose.

At least this mini heatwave will be good news for the insect hunting fledglings.

No comments:

Post a Comment