Thursday 24 April 2014

Sutton Park.






Nice trip out to a balmy Sutton Park where the sun threatened to come out but never quite made it.

Highlight of the day was not a sighting but that of hearing a Cuckoo, which is something I hear very infrequently these days which is a real shame, hopefully if the countryside is managed in the future with birds and wildlife in mind these and other birds like Turtle Dove, Yellowhammer and Corn Bunting etc. may increase in numbers and become commonplace again. Also nice to see were my first Swallow of the year and seeing a pair of Great Tit breeding.

Birds seen today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Chiffchaff, Wren, Robin, Starling, Swallow, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Canada Goose.

In the garden in the last couple of days I've had at least three Juvenile Robin visiting all day looking for mealworms I put out for them, there could be more than three but I've only spotted three at one time and with the apple tree now in full leaf it's hard to see whats in there. There is also a lot of Carrion Crows fighting in my area lately, I don't know if it's really unusual behaviour but they really go for each other and you can even hear them screeching above the television. I was also down by the Ambulance Hub in Erdington yesterday when I saw a Whitethoat in the brambles which run along the canal which is there, which was a nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment