Saturday 12 April 2014

Shustoke Resservoir.






Nice trip out to Warwickshire to visit Shustoke Reservoir where it was very overcast but still reasonably warm and there was the usual mixed selection of birds which is not surprising being as the reservoir is surrounded by farmers fields and good mixture of countryside habitats.

There were a few highlights of the day, first off it was great to see a pair of Skykark and of course hear their wonderful singing, secondly it was great to see my first Sand and House Martin of the year especially as they numbered in the hundreds, thirdly was nice to hear all the male Blackcap and Dunnocks singing.

Birds seen today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff, Blackcap (male), House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Starling, Sand Martin, House Martin, Skylark, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Collared Dove, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Pheasant (cock), Pied Wagtail, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Canada Goose.

I also forgot to mention in my last post that the Friday before I was at the N.E.C. in Birmingham so I visited Pendigo Lake that is front of the arena while I was having some dinner, when the birds I spotted were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Dunnock, Starling, Song Thrush, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Canada Goose. Also seen was a pair of Coot nest buliding plus best of all was seeing my first Ducklings and there just happened to be fourteen of them, haven't seen that many in one family for a long time.

I've also noticed that the House Sparrow's in my garden have been furiously collecting nest material lately even fighting over stray feathers in the gutter, roll on seeing House Sparrow fledglings in the garden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment