Tuesday 8 October 2013

Plantsbrook Nature Reserve.







Morning trip to Plantsbrook Nature Reserve today where it was quiet bird wise apart from an abundance of water fowl on the two main pools which is not always the case at this location, in fact there was probably more Funghi to be seen than songbirds.

Birds seen were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard and Canada Goose.

I also had a check on the two Foxes who I buried in a hidden place at Plantsbrook last year after being killed on the road, there is no sign of the one but the other has worked it's way to the surface, but I let it be being as it's out of harms way.

My nemesis, the Sparrowhawk, is now a daily visitor to the feeders in the garden and has had at least two House Sparrow in the last couple of days and had at least two unsuccessful attacks that I've witnessed. If it's not in the garden, it can be seen circling above the houses in my street, some people think I should be grateful to have a Sparrowhawk visiting the garden, they might think different when the House Sparrow numbers start dwindling just because they come into the garden for a bit of seed. I was filling the feeders up twice a day until about four days ago but not anymore the Sparrows seem reluctant to come at the moment and seem more wary than usual, which is a shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment