Thursday 12 September 2013

Edgbaston Reservoir.








Overdue trip to Edgbaston Reservoir today, it's been nearly a year since my last visit. The water level was surprisingly low but nowhere near the catastrophic low levels of last summer.

The birds present all seemed to be faring well apart from one of the years juvenile Moorhen who I unfortunately found deceased near the waters edge, how it died was a complete because it had no obvious signs of trauma or injury, needless to say I moved the poor bird to a more fitting resting place.

Birds seen were Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Wren, Robin, Starling, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Canada Goose and the following juveniles, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Robin and Blackbird.

On my travels yesterday I saw a flock of c.200 Starling foraging on grass in the Eastside area of Birmingham City Centre and a further flock of c.100 Starling sitting on rooftops in the Ward End area of Birmingham, hopefully many of these magnificent birds will make it through the winter and grace us with the there presence for many a year to come.

Sadly my nemesis, the Sparrowhawk made a successful House Sparrow kill on Monday, as per usual it came out of nowhere and snatched a poor unfortunate bird from one of the feeders so I promptly went out in the garden but all I did was scared it off, carrying it's prey, I know it's got to eat but it really upsets me when it kills a bird in my garden when all it's come for is a bit of bird seed.


One of Birmingham City Centre's Starling population and one of this years juveniles at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment