Thursday 15 August 2013

Shustoke Reservoir.








First trip to Shustoke Reservoir in nearly three months but even though it was very quite bird wise it was worth it for what turned out to be a real highlight of the day namely that of seeing a Tawny Owl fly past me at about eight foot high and a couple of feet in front of me, it was as brief as it was brilliant.

Like I said it was pretty quite bird wise other than that there was plenty of butterflies out including Green Veined White (pictured), Small White, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Gatekeeper, Small Heath and Speckled Wood. There was also a few Moths about, which I was disturbing while walking along the edges of the farmers fields including the one in the photograph, I don't know anything about Moths so I don't know which type it is. Talking of the farmers fields there was also some baby Toads observed making their way across the fields to the river, I picked one up and tried to photograph it but it didn't reciprocate to my actions. Because we've had a few wet days lately there seems to be plenty Funghi around to see of which I'll post some photos of on my Flickr which is where I've also posted a short video showing some of the many House Sparrow I have visiting the garden all year round.

Back to the birds, birds seen today were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Wren, Robin, Swift, House Martin, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck, Coot, Mallard as well as the following juveniles, Pied Wagtail (in the last photo), Willow Warbler, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit and Duckling (5).

No comments:

Post a Comment