Tuesday 27 August 2013

Pype Hayes Park.






A mixture of both good and bad news today from Pype Hayes Park and at home.

Today's trip out was going to be to Sheldon Country Park to observe the birds, planes and trains at the Park, Birmingham International Airport and Marston Green Train Station respectively but it was foggy, misty and the air was damp when I left so I opted for Pype Hayes Park where ironically enough it was bright sunshine by about 9:30, that's the problem with going out early I suppose, still Pype Hayes was a good walk either way.

On the pool the Muscovy Duck is still present which is good news, there was also seven Duckling and six Moorhen recent arrivals which was nice to see as well as one of the Great Crested Grebe young has matured into a fine looking bird. Unfortunately there are no currently only five of the six Cygnets still present on the pool because one had to be rescued by the RSPCA because it's mouth was all entwined with fishing line 'donated' by one of the local anglers, I shan't rant on about it because I've made my feelings clear in the past, needless to say these people don't care about the local wildlife and the surroundings. It was taken by the RSPCA a week ago so hopefully it will return if it recovers, if not let's hope the 'Fisherman' is proud of themselves. 

Birds seen were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Chiffchaff, Wren, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Muscovy Duck, Mallard, Canada Goose as well as the following juveniles, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Cygnet (5), Moorhen (6), Duckling (7) and Great Crested Grebe (1).



There was also yesterday's drama, as I was watching the House Sparrow's, Blue Tits and Great Tits in the garden from my bedroom window in the morning I noticed a juvenile Male House Sparrow in next doors garden appearing to have a dirt bath with some other Sparrow's but after observing it for a while it was clear that for whatever reason it couldn't fly properly even though after a while he did manage to fly into the laurel bush so I thought I hope he's okay and wished for the best. Then about three hours later when I was topping up the feeders I saw him struggling on the floor again but he unfortunately disappeared into the pyracanthas and there was no way I would be able to retrieve it from there, so again I just hoped for the best and and wished that a parent bird or his fellow Sparrow's would help him out. Then a couple of hours after that when I was topping up the bird baths I noticed him again, struggling to fly and hiding behind the plants pots, after ten to fifteen minutes and plenty of fun and games I managed to retrieve him get him in a box and provided him with cat food, mealworms, seed and water and covered over the box rang a local vet in Solihull who cares for injured wildlife who agreed to take him in and hopefully look after him but sadly as I went to get him ready for transport he didn't look well and was clearly in pain and losing his grip on life when he gave out one last stretch and sadly passed away. At least I tried by best for the little fella and he didn't unduly suffer and he now has a special burial plot in my back garden, R.I.P. little one.

At least the Badger's are safe, oh wait a minute.........


No comments:

Post a Comment