Thursday 9 May 2013

Meriden Park and Cole Bank Nature Reserve, Solihull.







Nice trip to Meriden Park and Cole Bank Nature Reserve in Solihull. Cole Bank Nature Reserve is basically on the opposite side of the road to Meriden Park, I can't believe I've never been before, but to be fair, you would never now it was there, it's that well hidden and it's not signposted too well either.

It was great to see a few young birds on the water and on the island, on the island there was at least 6 Cygnets, who had apparently only hatched yesterday, while I was observing them a cheeky Magpie nearly plucked one away bit thankfully the mother was close enough to scare it off, there was also 6 Coot chicks, 3 Goslings and 5 Ducklings. I also saw 1 Coot on the nest.

On the walk along the river to Cole Bank I was accompanied with some wonderful Blackcap singing from both sides of the river, it was also pleasing to observe one in full song a few feet away from me. Also along the river it was brilliant to see 2 different colonies of House Sparrow, a lot of people don't like their chirping but I love it, especially when heard in the wild, I hear them in the garden most days especially when they are bickering in the Pyracanthas.

Birds seen were Buzzard, Kestrel, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Chiffchaff, Blackcap (male), House Sparrow, Dunnock, Starling, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Grey Wagtail, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot, Canada Goose and the following young Cygnet (6), Coot (6), Duckling (5) and Gosling (3).

No comments:

Post a Comment