Saturday 23 March 2013

Lady Bradford's, Castle Bromwich.






Early morning trip to a snowy Castle Bromwich to check out how the birds are doing. I didn't see that many birds apart from plenty of Tits, Blackbirds and a Grey Heron flying overhead how is apparently taking advantage of Castle Bromwich Hall and Gardens ponds. Also nice to see was a flock of c.15 Redwing on the wing by the church who must have wished they'd already migrated when they awoke to snow filled landscape.

Birds seen were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Wren, Robin, Starling, Redwing, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon and Grey Heron. 

Needless to say I left plenty of bird seed, apple and bread on my travels today which were especially well received by the Robin population.

Unfortunately on Thursday morning when I went out in the garden to fill up the feeders and put fresh water in the birdbaths etc. I frightened off a female Sparrowhawk from the lawn under the tree, I say unfortunately because on the lawn was the remnants of an unlucky male Blackbird. It was my fifth sighting sighting of a Sparrowhawk in five days including one on Wednesday when I was fixing a fence in the garden when one whizzed past my head just inches away at an incredible speed it's no wonder the poor little Sparrows don't see it coming until it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment