Tuesday 2 October 2012

Kingsbury Water Park.











Being as I didn't do any birding last Saturday and this Saturday coming it's gardening time I thought I'd go and sample the delights Kingsbury has to offer, in what ended up being a good 5 mile walk.

Birds spotted were Buzzard, Blue tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit,Chaffinch, Wren, Robin, House Sparrow, Starling, House Martin, Jay, Collared Dove, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Cormorant, Grey Wagtail, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Lapwing (50+), Gadwall, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Pekin Duck, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose as well as the following juveniles, Cygnet (10) and Great Crested Grebe (2).

It was nice to see that the one footed Mallard Drake that I first saw back on the 25th of February this year is still with us and coping okay. He is always by one of the picnic areas with the resident Greylag and Canada Geese, a couple of Pekin Duck as well as plenty of Mallard and Coot, so he know doubt never goes without bread plus there is loads of grass to graze on. It was nice of the Red Admiral (Vanessa Atlanta) to stick around long enough for me to get a quick snap of it, I tried to get more but I got too close and spooked it. The slug in the second picture is a Great Grey Slug or Leopard Slug (Limax Maximus) and is one of the largest land slugs in the world, this one was about five inches long, it was on the tarmac path so I picked it up and put it into the relative safety in the grass away from the path. The Sulphur Polypore (Laetiporus Sulphureus) Funghi in the seventh and eight pictures was a bit of a monster, it was about 15x12 inches, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw it. It was actually a good day for Funghi with over seventy photos taken and with Autumn only just begun there will plenty more to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment