Tuesday 9 October 2012

Babbs Mill Nature Reserve, Kingshurst.









Wee trip to a chilly Babbs Mill on this very Autumnal morning with many trees already shedding their leaves and giving the place a bit of character.

Birds seen today were Kingfisher, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Wren, Robin, House Sparrow, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Shoveler, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Domestic Goose, Canada Goose and the following juveniles Cygnet (7) and Moorhen (3).

It was nice to see the Shoveler make a reappearance back here, there were just under thirty of them and most of them being female. I also saw a Kingfisher darting across the water at both ends of the lake, so maybe there were two present.

In the back garden I have a many Dunnocks who are daily visitors, unfortunately there is one that's got a growth on it's right foot which is about the size of a garden pea, it actually manages to hop about the lawn looking for the seed I leave down for it, so at least it won't go without food, sadly for the little fella he's one of this years juveniles, which is a shame. While I was doing the gardening on Saturday I had a treat when fifty plus Long Tailed Tits flew in and out of the apple tree, I probably wouldn't have noticed them if it wasn't for their constant chirping. I have also noticed an upturn in Jay activity, with lots of flying back and forth with acorns. Since the bamboo canes went up I haven't seen a Sparrowhawk in the garden, whether that's a coincidence or not I don't know, but it's not getting an easy meal here no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment