Tuesday 25 September 2012

Pype Hayes Park.







Another trip to a surprisingly chilly Pype Hayes Park. where there always plenty of birds.

Birds spotted were Kestrel, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Goldinch, Chaffinch, Robin, Dunnock, Starling, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Canada Goose and the following juveniles Cygnet (5) and Goldfinch.

The Kestrel I saw actually scared the life out of me because as I was trying to unsuccessfully take a photo of some bracket funghi that was high up the dead tree in the last picture when all of a sudden it flew out of the clump of leaves in what felt about a couple of feet above my head when it the flew off towards the the river to hover above the trees and grass in that area. As you can see, the torrential rain we had yesterday has made the river visible again by flattening most of the Himalayan Balsam, I dare say it'll be back with a vengeance again next Spring.

Depending on your point of view of course, thankfully I haven't spotted any Sparrowhawk activity in the back garden since the last update. I have now erected some eight foot bamboo canes around the feeder and the House Sparrows and small birds will soon get used to them and will be able to feed in a much safer environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment