Tuesday 4 September 2012

Plantsbrook Nature Reserve.











A trip to Plantsbrook early this morning where the spot of the day was no contest, namely that of a pair of juvenile Bullfinch near the top of a Silver Birch, there may have been even more but I was a good fifty foot away, still seeing two was a treat in itself as was also seeing a pair of Greenfinch juveniles. I only noticed the Bullfinch juveniles in the first place because by the pool at the far end there is always at least one Collared Dove foraging by the waters edge and as I approached it flew up so I followed it up with the binoculars into the tree and noticed the Bullfinch in the adjacent tree, which just goes to show that just because you see a bird which some people might say is dull namely the Collared Dove in this case that you shouldn't just ignore it because if you watch it you never know what little treat might catch your eye. For the record I don't see any of our feathered friends as dull, they all have their place and before too long none of them will be a common sight anyway with us destroying their habitat and feeding grounds.

Birds seen today were, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Wren, Starling, Collared Dove, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Canada Goose as well as the following juveniles, Bullfinch, Greenfinch and Coot (6).

I also saw my fair share of Grey Squirrels running about the trees like nutters. I'm also having a Grey Squirrel as a regular visitor to the garden, I don't mind just as long as it doesn't find it's way into the feeders and gobble up all the food. I even saw a Grey Squirrel running up the street out the front the other day, which is a very rare sight indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment