Tuesday 10 April 2012

Shard End Lake










Actually got out birding again for a change, the two W's have curtailed my outdoor activities lately, weddings and the weather. I had a walk around the lake and a walk along a section of the River Cole. Birds spotted today were, Kestrel, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Reed Bunting, Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, House Sparrow, Blackbird, Carrion, Crow, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Feral Pigeon, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen, Tufted Duck, Coot, Canada Goose and Mallard. As of yet there are no birds on the nest at the lake, it's only a small lake and it's still early days though. The River Cole even though was very low wasn't as low as I'd expected it to be, but with a long dry summer ahead predicted it doesn't look good, which is probably why there is a shortage of Grey Heron about at the moment. Along the path by the River Cole I saw a male Blackbird courting a female Blackbird, doing it's funny run, head-bowing movements and with it's open beak, I hope to see plenty juvenile Blackbirds this year, another one of my favourite underrated British birds, I love their scampering around the back garden plus they are one of our greatest song birds, talking of British birds that get overlooked, here's an article on trying to reverse the decline of the House Sparrow. the certainly get looked after in my garden, if I see any in the garden, I go out and give them a bit of extra seed or sunflower hearts on the bird table or one of the coconuts in the tree and they have six receptacles to drink and bathe from, including two bird baths.

No comments:

Post a Comment