Saturday 4 February 2012

Plantsbrook Nature Reserve.






Finally got out birding for the first time in over a fortnight, thankfully I'm all but over this bug I've had, it's done my head in being stuck indoors for so long, now at last I'm back in the saddle as it were. Like I said it was my first trip out for a while and it was frostier than a frosty thing that's frosty, with all the pools apart from the main one frozen solid and even that one only had three small areas for the water fowl, where the Mute Swans, Mallards, Coots and Moorhens were all very eager for the brown bread that was on offer. Birds spotted today were, Reed Bunting, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Wren, Robin, House Sparrow, Starling, Song Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck and Moorhen. I also saw plenty of Blackbirds and Grey Squirrels today, as well as a tree replete with over thirty Woodpigeon. I did my bit by leaving some apples saved from the summer and bird seed in various places around the park for the wildlife to enjoy. After today's visit I had the good and the bad, the good being seeing some kind person leaving plenty of seed and bread on the ground by Castle Vale shopping centre where there was hundred plus Feral Pigeon and a hundred plus Gulls overhead all eager to tuck in, and then the bad, apparently poachers are taking the ducks and geese from Queslett Nature Reserve in Great Barr, which can read via the following link from the Birmingham Mail.

2 comments:

  1. Love your Header,superb image.
    Fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. You've got some great photos on your blog, keep up the good work :)

      Delete